Sunday, June 21, 2009

banana pudding

i enjoyed some delicious banana pudding this week with some friends. the recipe came from my mother-in-law (MIL) and was her mother's recipe. it is it the best pudding i have ever had. i didn't know that pudding could be made from scratch until i met my MIL. you have to try it. the effort that it takes, which is very little, is so worth the end result. i made the little banana flower using a vanilla wafer, sliced the edges of the banana pieces to make petals, and a mint sprig. wait until you are almost ready to serve the dessert to add the pretty little flower or your banana pieces will brown.

recipe:
vanilla wafers
bananas (about 3)
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons flour
2 cups of milk
3 egg yolks
1.5 capfuls of vanilla

cook sugar, flour, and milk until thick
stir frequently and use medium heat
add the egg yolks (beat before you add)
add the vanilla while stirring in the yolks
cook an additional minute after you add the yolks

layer the dessert with the wafers first the bananas then pudding. repeat the layering until you are at the top of the dish you choose to use. i always double this recipe to make a larger dish. you will want to. trust me!

~type to you soon~

3 comments:

There's No Place Like Home said...

Le,

I am sure the pudding is delicious but that little flower is to die for! You are so creative! Thanks for sharing!

Monica

Carrie said...

banana pudding made from scratch is the only way to enjoy it, if you ask me!! my Mom's recipe includes meringue on top... YUM-O!

Amy Coomes said...

This is one of my favorite desserts, I make it every holiday! I like bananas to be brown, the wafers to be soggy, and I like it really cold, so its much better on the 2nd day!