Thursday, April 2, 2009

TT7

Every week I think God impresses on me what I should write about and this week is no different. I don't really have any parenting tips, per se, but I do want to encourage someone who may be wondering if their mothering is really working. I don't want to forget what it was like when I had little ones who needed me for EVERYTHING. Feed them, change them, carry them, carry the carseat, carry the diaper bag (that had to have everything in it), wipe their noses, clean up their toys, rock them, read to them, buckle them in, get them out of the car, carry them into the store, hold their hand in the parking lot, fix their hair, brush their teeth, get them dressed, push them on the swing, catch them at the bottom of the slide....the list goes on and on. And sure, I still do some of those things and I still have little ones, but there is a difference. I get glimpses of where it will eventually go with my older ones. My kids aren't perfect, by I am starting to see how what I did matters, even the mundane tasks. It's hard when they are little. It's very exhausting and you feel like you just hit repeat everyday. Then as they get older, they do more for themselves. It still requires training and coaching and refereeing. They still have needs or need help with something.....homework, sports, friends, projects, playing. It's still a lot of work, but I can see how being consistent and staying the course in raising them and taking care of them is paying off. They are becoming responsible, considerate, respectful people and ultimately showing God to the world. Our neighbors see it and comment about it. Some friends and family say things. Even strangers make a comment here and there. It's not all the time, but when I see them living in a way that we've taught them, it makes all the work seem worth it. It gives me encouragement to continue training them the way God wants us to.
You ARE doing a great job. Keep at it. It is so worth it. They are so worth it. HE is so worth it.
~type to you thursday~

1 comment:

soccermom said...

Thank you for your words of encouragement each week!!